Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Morning of Mourning

The soft pitter-patter of rain
Awakens me this day
Bringing comfort 
On a lonely morning of mourning 

The soft pitter-patter of footsteps 
Once awakened me
Bringing comfort 
To an entitled, haughty man

Now the snuggles and kisses
That greeted me each day
Have been silenced
To the ears of this broken man

My heart beats in my chest
Yet it is somewhere north of here
My breath continues 
Though I oft wish it would cease

On this morning of mourning 
Alone in my cell
I cry out to You in weak hope,
“Restore, redeem this tragic day!”

Gift and grace You offer to me
Through a soft bed
Through a message from a friend 
But can this stone heart receive?

My daughters, my daughters 
I long and ache for you 
Tis an ache as constant as
The hardness of my stubborn will

“Surrender to the Good Lord,”
My mama whispers to me.
Teach me to accept the tears
and the rain
and all forms of pitter-patter
and the love of friends 
and the agony of grief
and the grace of God
and the deafening silence 

Graciously grant me the grace
To say with truth
“The Lord gives and takes away.
Blessed be the Name of the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and all perspectives are welcome provided they are given with gentleness, consideration, and respect.