Monday, March 10, 2008

Danny

Sitting in a hotel lobby, a stranger from Pittsburgh engaged me in conversation. He asked me about my daughter, advised me to enjoy every moment with her at this young age, and we chatted about sports. But it wasn't long before the conversation turned more serious. He alluded to the fact that his wife just threatened to leave him and, when I asked more specifics about it, he proved to be quite open to conversation. He talked for over thirty minutes about his wife, his two teenage children, and the suffering that has been caused by the impending divorce. Danny confided in me that he is not perfect, but that he loves his wife and wants to be reconciled with her. He listed his many attempts to bring her back which had all ended in failure. I could tell that he was not a Christian, but I spoke to him a few words about the loving, forgiving posture of Jesus Christ who models for us the only way to reconciliation... humility, patience, and a willingness to suffer for the sake of the one you love. My words were accepted with gratitude and he seemed genuinely open to my advice from the Scriptures. As we ended the conversation, I promised to pray for him. He thanked me for my listening ear and sound advice and gave me a firm handshake before parting ways.

A few observations about this encounter: 1) I am amazed at the openness and intimacy that was formed in such a short time between myself and Danny. This simply must have been the work of the Holy Spirit. 2) I wondered about how relevant the gospel is to Danny and his situation. I must reflect on this question: "What does Jesus' life, death, and resurrection have to say to a man whose wife stubbornly refuses to return to him?" 3) I regret that I did not hug Danny as we left. He needed it. Probably because of my own homophobia, I resorted instead to a firm handshake. I am resolved to give out hugs from this point forward to those who are open to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and all perspectives are welcome provided they are given with gentleness, consideration, and respect.