Saturday, April 12, 2008

Suffering

The more I learn about the Christian life, the more I am convinced that at least some forms of suffering must be embraced as the will of God. In what ways do I suffer for the sake of God's kingdom? I live a quiet and easy life. And yet I do suffer in very small ways. I suffer in my heart for those who are in need, I suffer by simply waking up in the middle of the night to comfort my daughter when she won't sleep, and I suffer the denial of my desires when I want to plunge into materialism to medicate myself. These are mild forms of suffering, but nevertheless are substantial in my simple life.

I have been inspired once again by a quote from the diary of Phoebe Palmer (entered 1864):

“Live in the spirit of sacrifice. Let it be seen that you are willing to sacrifice that which costs you something in ease, reputation, and according as God hath prospered you in money, for the establishment of Christ’s kingdom on earth. Thus shall it be known by the testimony of your life and lips, that holiness is the power, or, in other words, the great lever by which a fallen redeemed world is to be raised from earth to heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and all perspectives are welcome provided they are given with gentleness, consideration, and respect.