Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Whip Spiders and Augustinian Theodicy

Last night I watched a documentary produced by the BBC on "Life in the Undergrowth" hosted by David Attenborough. On the program, they introduced the viewers to a strange creature that I had never heard of before -- the "whip spider" (see below for a picture). Virtually everything on this creature is intended to kill. It has venomous fangs, strong body armor, and foot-long legs used to feel for prey. This got me thinking about my own view of the fall and its deficiencies.

I have traditionally accepted an Augustinian view of the fall. This teaches that the world was once a place of perfect harmony where man and animals got along perfectly, man introduced sin into the world, and this caused all of creation to go haywire -- tornados, earthquakes, enmity between man and nature, etc. So here is my question: Did God create the whip spider before the fall? If so, then did it have venomous fangs? Or would it have been a totally different creature (completely peaceful) that "evolved" the fangs after the fall? Or is my view of the fall too childish? Is it more metaphorical than this? Should I accept the Darwinian view that this spider developed these traits because of survival of the fittest as many theistic evolutionists contend? I am leaning in this direction, but the question remains, "Then how do I read the Biblical account of the fall?"

To put my question more simply, "Did lions always have claws?" If God originally intended nature to exist in harmony, then why would they need claws? If you say that "no they didn't have claws," then did they just evolve them after the fall?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

All comments and all perspectives are welcome provided they are given with gentleness, consideration, and respect.