Friday, March 9, 2007

Seeking Wu-Wei in My Marriage


This evening my wife and I had a small argument. It wasn't about anything important and we made up quickly, but it did cause me to think about how I lack a certain ability to simply let things slide.

Perhaps I should take a lesson from the Daoists and attempt to mold my life according to what they call wu-wei which is roughly translated "nonaggression" or "non-meddlesome action." I ought to become like water, for as the Dao De Jing states:

"There is nothing in the world more soft and weak than water, yet for attacking things that are hard and strong there is nothing that surpasses it... the soft overcomes the hard; the weak overcomes the strong."

Of course, the object I am attempting to overcome is not my wife, but my pride. I must learn to be more like water and less like rock. Perhaps I need to learn to let go and be less attached to my own will, my own emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and all perspectives are welcome provided they are given with gentleness, consideration, and respect.